Research as politics

Closely tied to personal experiences, political principles and everyday politics that
influence policy and shape our lives, as well as world events, can also be triggers for
pursuing further studies.
Joseph Burridge describes how his wider interest in political controversies shaped his motivations and ideas for a PhD:

I had always been interested in controversy and argumentation since it seems to me that they are fairly fundamental to the way in which we relate to one another as human beings socially and politically. I had planned to undertake a more extensive and detailed analysis of the political debate over the repeal of Section 28 – a piece of legislation which has now been repealed but is usually described as having banned the ‘promotion of homosexuality’ – which had been the topic of my masters thesis. However, as I was finishing the thesis, the events of 11th September 2001
took place, and the aftermath seemed to be a location in which I could pursue some similar themes to those that had interested me about Section 28.

PhDs are not isolated events that exist between the individual, the supervisor and the research subjects. Real life events, political change and the localised and globalised setting of the topic have bearing on motivations as well as the trajectory of the content of the research.

Motivation to Do Phd

Career development

Lack of job satisfaction

Personal agenda

Research as politics

Drifting In

No comments:

Post a Comment